There's a saying that reads, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." And while that may be true, I think the essence of this quote really speaks to the power a mother has in her household. She sets the tone, and her feelings, choices and state of mind trickle down into the other members of her family.
While my mom has always set a positive tone for my family, I believe that two years ago she was faced with a choice that had the potential to set our course toward victory or defeat.
None of us expected my dad to die that day. But that didn't keep the truth from shaking us to the core. He was gone. Now what?
And in the face of great heartbreak, devastation and fear, my mother made a choice.
I watched her as she ministered to the people who arrived at our house to drop off food, offer condolences and gift us with plants.
I watched her as she shared stories about my dad-celebrating his life as a wonderful husband and father.
I watched her as she thoughtfully planned a service that would reflect our family's faith and rejoice in the hope we have in Christ.
I watched her as she got up every day, determined to make the best of a crappy situation.
I watched her as she clung to God's promises, believing and knowing that they were true.
I heard her declare that she would not give up on her life, but would instead move forward with whatever God had planned for her.
I heard her state her desire to honor God and honor her husband by refusing to wallow in sadness.
I heard her comfort those who, within months of my father's death, found themselves walking a similar journey.
I heard her quote God's promises and His good news to anyone who would listen.
And I was changed.
I don't know how I would have dealt with my dad's death without the strong example offered by my mom. If my mom could trust in God in the darkest of times, and have assurance that God would give her a full life in the emptiest of places, then I could too.
And I do.
My mom has done a lot for me over the 33 years I've been on earth: she's made my lunch, taken me to the library, volunteered at my school, danced on the desks of a few clueless teachers, glued sequins to dance costumes, encouraged me to pursue my talents in singing, forced me to learn piano, wiped my butt, wiped my nose, wiped my tears, come to see me at college for Parent's Weekend even when I acted like a punk freshman year, cooked more delicious meals than I can count, disciplined me, gone through my school binders, taken me to the beach, taken me to lunch, loaned me money, sat next to me at Bible study, held my head over a toilet, sat through endless drill team performances, driven me everywhere, drove to Waco and back in a day to get me when I was deathly ill, taken me on a spontaneous road trip to the Baylor football season opener, braided my hair, made sure I looked neat, made sure I knew how to behave in church, taught me to appreciate the superiority that is a Sonic Coke, and reminded me that desiring perfection is unreasonable, while excellence is a worthy pursuit.
But the biggest thing she's ever done is point me to Jesus. I know His love, His character and His grace because of her.
Eshet chayil Mom. I love you!

4 comments:
Your mom is truly awesome. What a lovely post.
Leigh is all that and more. And I know what a blessing You and Lindsay are to her. Happy Mother's Day!
What a wonderful post! I hope to be that mom one day... My mom has not been tested in the same way, but also is a mother of valor!
Great picture of both of you. I'd like to see your mama dancing on the desks. How people bear up under pain is a quick way to show their character.
Didn't know about your little blog here!
Post a Comment